Squared Online – Neil Perkins Presentation
Neil started with an interactive short history of how long some of the tech we use every day and take for granted. I had pen and pad at the ready on noted some of the historic moments in our tech history.
- 1971 – 1st email was sent using ARPANET, the predecessor of what we know today as the Internet.
- 1978 – 1st email spam was sent
- 1990 – 1st website created
- 1993 – 1st search engine created – W3C, then Yahoo in 1995
- 1994 – 1st eCommerce site
- 1994 – 1st banner ad created
- 1995 – 1st eBay sale – a broken laser pointer
- 1998 – Google launched
- 2002 – 1st social network – Friendster
- 2006 – Facebook opened to everyone
- 2010 – Instagram launches in October and now has 100 million users
Just looking at the list as I wrote it down was quite amazing. The advances we have made in such a small amount of time. The hardware technology we now have at our fingertips and the amazing possibilities that can be created.
Neil went on to speak about Moore’s law
GAFA – Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon – The ones to watch for emerging as leaders in shaping the digital tomorrow.